Recipe by 3KillerBs
A light, crisp batter suitable for frying squash, zucchini, chicken, pork, tilapia, or nearly any other food that might be fried. The flavors are intentionally kept light to enhance rather than cover the natural goodness of the foods being coated, but if you want a more intense flavor you can certainly increase the amounts. Enough to batter 4-6 squash or 1-2 lbs of chicken tenders.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 pinch chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients together in a deep bowl.
- Dump in milk all at once and beat with a whisk until smooth.
- Coat pieces of food to be fried in batter and deep-fat fry as usual.
- Any leftover batter can be drizzled into the hot fry oil to make batter crispies.
- Double if necessary but I'd recommend making extra batches after using the first rather than tripling because the fizz from the self-rising flour will be deflate after the batter sits for a while.
- If you don't have self-rising flour you can use all-purpose flour with a tsp of baking powder and a good pinch of salt per cup.