Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe in 1980 when I worked at University of Michigan hospital. The ward secretary on our unit always brought this to our potluck lunches. Everyone loves it because of its great cheesecake flavor without the heaviness of regular cheesecake. Easy to make, easier to eat!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 ounces lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces evaporated milk, chilled
- Mix Graham cracker crumbs, 1 tablespoon sugar, and melted butter or margarine.
- Press Graham cracker crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9"x13" pan. (You do not need to grease the pan.).
- Mix lemon Jello with 2 cups boiling water until Jello is dissolved.
- Add cream cheese to Jello mixture, breaking cheese up with a potato masher or the beaters of an electric mixer.
- In a chilled bowl (glass or metal work best) whip with electric mixer chilled evaporated milk with 1 tablespoon sugar until small peaks form. (Getting peaks to form is much easier if the bowl and milk are cold.).
- Add Jello mixture to evaporated milk and continue to beat until well blended.
- Pour over Graham cracker crust.
- Chill until firm.
I have been enjoying this at every family get together as far back as I can possibly remember, my grandmother taught me, and now I make it and finally just within the last few years wrote it down (as I am now 43 and dont want to forget it) except I add a tbsp or 2 or 3 of lemon juice, and lemon zest for a little more zippy genuine lemon flavor
This was delicious! Light, fluffy,creamy, and lemony and it set up in about 2 hours. I substituted 2 .3-ounce packages of sugar free lemon jello since that's what I had; and used neufchatel instead of cream cheese - again, it's what I had in the fridge. I did use a 9x13 pan instead of 9x11 and I'm glad I did - the pan was full! Thanks for sharing this!
I have been looking for this recipe, my aunt would make it every year for my birthday then she passed luckily I found it..