Recipe by BecR
These fluffy little light-as-a-cloud herb scented dumplings are simply heavenly served with my Wintry Beef Vegetable Stew With Fluffy Herb Dumplings #112055, or chicken stew. Great comfort food! Use any herb you wish-- try chives, thyme, sage, etc. French thyme, Herbes De Napa -or- Herbes de Provence are my favorites.
- 88.74 ml shortening (preferably Crisco butter flavor shortening)
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml minced fresh parsley
- 59.14 ml snipped fresh herb (you may use chives, thyme, sage or whatever else you prefer,-or- 1 teaspoon dry herbs)
- 354.88 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cut shortening into combined flour, baking powder, salt, parsley and herbs until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in milk.
- Drop by heaping spoon fulls onto hot meat or vegetables in boiling stew (do not drop directly into liquid).
- Cook uncovered 15 minutes.
- Cover and cook about 15 minutes longer. Cut a dumpling in half to test for doneness; you want them done but not dry!
- Serve immediately. Also good reheated the next day.