1/2 Photos of Light and Fluffy Dinner Rolls
2 hrs 41 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
6 simple ingredients + 1 "secret" technique = rolls ready to wow a crowd. Also works as a good base dough for buns and bread sticks, just shape them differently.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make a Tangzhong by whisking 8 tsp flour into a 1/2 cup of water and heat on low heat to 149° or until the Tangzhong has thickened to about the consistency of a custard. Then cover with plastic wrap so that it touches the Tangzhong and let it cool to room temperature.
- 2In a food processor with the dough blade attachment, mix together 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp warm water(110-115 degrees F), the yeast and 1/2 tsp granulated sugar until yeast has dissolved.
- 3Allow to rest 10 minutes in the food processor.
- 4While resting put 1 Tbsp + 2 1/2 tsp granulated sugar, 1 1/3 cups flour, 1 3/4 tsp salt in a bowl and mix with a spoon.
- 5After resting time, add bowl of dry ingredients, the room temp Tangzhong, and 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, to the rested yeast and pulse the mixture until well combined.
- 6Add in remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and pulse until all is incorporated.
- 7Add up to 1/4 cup additional flour as needed to make the dough pull away from sides of the food processor but still be slightly sticky to the touch.
- 8Transfer dough to a large lightly olive oiled mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest in a warm place (~80 degrees F) until dough doubles, it will take about 1 1/2 hours.
- 9Rub a small amount of olive oil on your hands then punch risen dough down, divide into 12 equal portions (2 ounces each by weight), keep them covered with plastic wrap as you work.
- 10Lightly flour your surface and hands, and shape it into a roll by flattening a piece of dough, folding the top half way down and the bottom half way up, flattening again, then rolling it up like a carpet. Finally, take both ends of the roll and tuck them under so that they touch and roll that in your hands to make it into a ball like shape. Or shape them any other way you were taught to make rolls.
- 11Then place them on two parchment paper lined cookie sheets or one parchment paper lined 8x12 inch cake pan. Cover and let rise 1 hour (or 45 minutes at room temperature and then placed into the refrigerator for a few hours and take out while preheating oven). Preheat oven to 425 during the last 10 minutes of rising.
- 12Bake in preheated oven 11 - 13 minutes until golden.
- 13When it is done, run a stick of margarine or brush olive oil over top of the hot rolls. Top with your favorite seasoning (I like garlic salt).
- 14Serve warm or allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light and Fluffy Dinner Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.2
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 681.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 6.9 g