Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
It doesn't get easier or more delicious to eat a reasonably healthy potato side dish from Barbara Kafka. This comes from her "Microwave Healthstyle Gourmet" book --published in 1989, I've been making it ever since.
- 1 lb tiny new potatoes (each about 2 oz.)
- 6 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to coat.
- Cover with either tightly fitting lid or plastic wrap. (Note: I prefer using the plastic wrap, fitted tightly. Do NOT pierce plastic wrap to vent -- the wrap will end up doming during heating, this is a good thing.).
- Cook at 100% for approximately 8 minutes, 1000 watt oven, or until potatoes are tender. (Microwave cooking is terribly easy, once you get the feel for how cooking times play out in your own oven.).
- If using plastic wrap, prick to release steam. (Please be careful, there is a lot of steam. Don't get a steam burn!).
- Voila! Yum!
I love this side dish. A great go to when your making last minute meals and also can easily be sized down for one serving. I have also found that the spice combo can be changed up to suit your mood. I have done it with garlic and Basil, Italian spice, Even dry ranch dressing. A very easy and versatile dish.
This recipe is a keeper for sure, perfect for weeknights! The potatoes are delicious as well as quick and easy to make. I loved the fact that I didn't have to wash any pots or pans, just used a corelle bowl in the microwave. I didn't have new potatoes so I cut the medium sized red potatoes in half, which made the pieces 2 oz each. Thank you Windy!