Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love fruit salads and there are so many variations! This is so good, with a light creamy topping. Made for RSC#12.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, plus
- 6 -8 fresh strawberries, to garnish salad
- 2 cups fresh cherries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup banana, peeled and sliced
- 2 peaches, pitted and sliced (or nectarines)
- 1 cup mandarin orange segments (optional)
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese (similar to soft cream cheese)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (to taste, or sugar substitute such as Splenda)
- 1⁄4 cup no-sugar-added strawberry preserves (or jam or spread, also you may try other fruit jams)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups whipped cream (or non dairy whipped topping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place marscapone cheese, Splenda(sugar substitute), strawberry preserves and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add whipped topping and vanilla and puree until nice and smooth and getting thick.
- In a large bowl, mix fruit lightly together. Place half of the fruit in a large bowl or trifle dish. Spoon half of whipped topping mixture over top, spreading to edges.
- Place remaining fruit on the topping.
- Top with remaining whipped topping mixture almost to edge of bowl.
- Garnish with strawberries.
- Note: If using mandarin oranges, a little of the juice mixed in with topping is good!
- Serve and enjoy!
Managed to find some fairly nice strawberries for this recipe & made it pretty much as indicated, although (1) I did top the whole thing with a good sprinkling of sliced strawberries & (2) I added a scant 1/4 cup of dried strawberries along with the preserves! Will be making this one again! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
This lovely salad was very pretty. It would be a great addition to a brunch or buffet bar layered in a clear glass bowl. I omitted the cherries simply because I was tired of pitting them, used the nectarines, and homemade mascarpone cheese. The topping is fluffy, but as another reviewer mentioned doesn't taste much of strawberries. It might be fun to see what orange marmalade would add if used as a replacement. I also think this might be good layered into single serving parfait glasses. Thanks for your contest entry!
A lovely combo of fruits. I think the topping had too much whipped cream (I used 2 1/2c). I also think more jam should be used; we could hardly detect the strawberry flavor in the finished topping. I served this with brunch but it was very dessert-y. Good luck in the contest! Reviewed for RSC#12.