Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is one of our favorite dinnerparty desserts.
- 1 loaf French bread (16-ounce)
- 1 quart 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin, optional
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- Break up bread into small pieces.
- Place in a medium bowl and cover with 1% low-fat milk.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with the butter.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg, egg whites, sugar and extracts.
- Stir into bread mixture.
- Gently fold almonds and raisins, if using, into bread mixture.
- Spread bread mixture evenly in baking dish.
- Set on middle rack in oven and bake for 1 hour or until lightly golden, cool.
- For sauce, stir together butter, buttermilk and sugar over very low heat in a small saucepan.
- Continue stirring until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.
- Combine cornstarch with amaretto, stirring until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Add to butter mixture, increase heat to medium and stir until mixture boils and thickens slightly.
- To serve, cut the bread pudding into squares and spoon a scant tablespoon of sauce over each serving.