No-not the candy-it's a life saver for my family! My oldest daughter developed a horrible hacking cough when she was 4. This cough would knock her on her little butt for a week at a time, at least twice every winter. The Dr. kept telling us it was "post nasal drip" and tell us we could do nothing but use over the counter syrup for it. "It will have to run it's course." Well, nothing we tried worked. NOTHING. So I went in search of a remedy, and I found this miracle. We all use it, and it's the best thing ever for for us! JUST BE SURE NOT TO GIVE THIS TO ANY KIDS UNDER 1 YEAR OLD, BECAUSE OF THE HONEY!!! But I give it to all my kids. I give my 2-1/2 yr old about 1 tsp, and my 5 yr old gets about 1-1/2 tsp. My 6 year old usually gets about 2 or 2-1/2 tsp. with great results. KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS SYRUP IS AN EXPECTORANT, SO IT WILL MAKE YOU COUGH FOR A SHORT TIME AFTER TAKING IT. BUT SOON AFTER, YOU'LL STOP COUGHING, AND FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon licorice root (cough fighting herb)
- 1 tablespoon crushed anise seed (loosens mucus congestion and relaxes respiratory tract)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon wild cherry bark (helps you sleep)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves (cough fighting herb)
- 1 cup honey (preserves the syrup, & soothes raw, irritated throat)
- 1Simmer licorice root and crushed anise seeds (and if you're using the wild cherry bark, add this now, too) in 2 cups water for 15 minutes
- 2Remove from heat and add thyme leaves.
- 3Cover and steep until it's room temperature.
- 4Strain off herbs, keeping the liquid, and add the honey.
- 5Stir until honey is dissolved.
- 6Store in a covered glass jar in the fridge.
- 7It will keep for 3 months.
- 8TAKE 1 TBSP.
- 9AS OFTEN AS NEEDED FOR A COUGH.
Browse Our Top Winter Recipes
Nutritional Facts for LifeSaver Cough Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (822 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.7
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 141.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 139.1 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
wild cherry bark