Recipe by GoodMorningBurger
I have not yet had the good fortune to visit Belgium, but I do frequent a lovely NYC cafe called Le Pain Quotidien, which is based in Belgium. I tried their crispy, caramelized Belgian Sugar Waffle, and was instantly in love. If perled sugar is not available, substitute an equal amount of coarsely crushed sugar cubes. I got this recipe off a Belgian website.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup pearl sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix yeast, water, sugar and salt, and let develop for 15 minutes.
- Place flour into a large bowl.
- Make a well, pour in yeast mixture, and begin to knead.
- Continue to knead, add eggs, one at a time, and add soft butter, 2 tablespoons each addition, mixing well.
- Let dough rest in bowl until doubled.
- Gently mix in pearl sugar.
- Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat waffle iron.
- When hot, butter waffle iron, pour in 3 tablespoons dough per waffle.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, until waffles lightly brown on top.
- Serve warm or room temperature.