1/7 Photos of Liege Waffles (Belgian Pearl Sugar Waffles)
I have not yet had the good fortune to visit Belgium, but I do frequent a lovely NYC cafe called Le Pain Quotidien, which is based in Belgium. I tried their crispy, caramelized Belgian Sugar Waffle, and was instantly in love. If perled sugar is not available, substitute an equal amount of coarsely crushed sugar cubes. I got this recipe off a Belgian website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix yeast, water, sugar and salt, and let develop for 15 minutes.
- 2Place flour into a large bowl.
- 3Make a well, pour in yeast mixture, and begin to knead.
- 4Continue to knead, add eggs, one at a time, and add soft butter, 2 tablespoons each addition, mixing well.
- 5Let dough rest in bowl until doubled.
- 6Gently mix in pearl sugar.
- 7Let rest for 15 minutes.
- 8Heat waffle iron.
- 9When hot, butter waffle iron, pour in 3 tablespoons dough per waffle.
- 10Cook for 3-5 minutes, until waffles lightly brown on top.
- 11Serve warm or room temperature.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Liege Waffles (Belgian Pearl Sugar Waffles)
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 904.4
- Calories from Fat 452
- Total Fat 50.3 g
- Saturated Fat 30.4 g
- Cholesterol 261.5 mg
- Sodium 534.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 54.9 g
- Protein 12.2 g