Recipe by *all4him*
I was watching The Today Show the other day and they had Lidia on preparing this recipe. I was so excited because I had some artichoke and didn't know what to do with them so I made this. YUM!!!!! My boyfriend absolutely loved this. He said it was one of my bests! :) I served it with baked carrots in butter, parsley and garlic salt. Which he also loved. This is defiantly a crowd pleaser.
- 1 lemon
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small artichokes
- 4 lbs chicken
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano, crushed by hand
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the artichokes and cut them into halves or wedges, about 1-1/2 inches wide and soak them in water with juice from the lemon.
- Salt the chicken. In a heavy bottom pan brown chicken in oil, but do not cook all of the way through. Remove and place on a dish.
- When the chicken is done put garlic in pan and cook for about two minutes, until sizzling.
- Take the artichoke out of the water and place in pan with the garlic. Stir well and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for about 5 minutes tossing often. When the artichokes start to turn color add wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in tomatoes and 3 cups of water. Cover pan, bring to a boil and reduce for a steady simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Return chicken pieces and any liquid on platter to the pan submerging them into the sauce. Cover and return to a simmer again for 40 minutes.
- Check about a quarter way through to make sure there is enough liquid so as not to burn.
- Remove lid and allow sauce to thicken up, simmering for about 15 minutes.