Recipe by Licorice Connoisseur - Jared
Homemade Ice Cream - Licorice Toffee Ice Cream Recipe If you like licorice and especially licorice toffee, you'll love making this ice cream.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1⁄2 pint double cream or 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 4 ounces sugar or 4 ounces caster sugar
- 6 ounces licorice toffee sweets
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the licorice toffee sweets into a saucepan and stir in the milk. Bring the pan slowly up to boiling point, stirring all the time and be sure that the toffees completely melt.
- This can take 5 to 10 minutes. Place to one side.
- In a separate bowl, beat and mix together the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Pour the hot milk and toffees mixture into the combined egg yolks and sugar, stirring whilst doing so. Then pour this back into the pan and heat gently; keep stirring until the custard thickens - DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL OR IT WILL PROBABLY CURDLE. When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon it's time to remove the saucepan from the heat. Leave to cool.
- When the custard base is cold stir in the cream (and the vanilla extract if you want to use it).
- Transfer the whole mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.