Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A really quick beef stroganoff with an inexpensive tender cut of beef. I make this when we're bushed from work but want something more than leftovers or pizza.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck eye steak
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon canola oil or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 can sliced mushroom
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 ounces sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Trim steak of excess fat.
- Slice into thin strips.
- (This is easier if the steaks are partially frozen).
- Slice onion into thin rings.
- Brown steak strips and onion in oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add mushrooms and mushroom soup.
- Stir, lower heat to medium and cover.
- Simmer for ten minutes.
- Add sour cream, stir.
- Serve over rice, small egg noodles or toast.
Very quick and tasty !! If you are not quite so worried about the fat, I would suggest a variation on the procedure. Place the whole chuck eye steak, covered with just a little olive oil, in a hot pan and cook about 3 to 4 minutes on a side. Let it rest for 5 minutes and then slice the cooked steak into thin slices. Complete the rest of the steps as written. The meat will be very tender and juice will add to the flavor of the sauce.