Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 hrs
From Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes cookbook. This wallpaper needs to be made a day or two before to allow it to dry out. This will keep easily for a week and can be rolled up.
- In a food processor, puree the dried apples with the sugar, until the mixture resembles "chopped nuts".
- If using the apricots, puree without adding the sugar and follow steps 6-9.
- Put the water in a double boiler and sprinkle in the gelatin. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Now simmer the water in the bottom of the double boiler and dissolve the gelatin.
- Once dissolved, slowly add to the apple puree and mix well.
- Collect the puree into a ball and place on a large sheet of cling-film, gently flattening with your hand into a square.
- Now place another sheet of cling-film on top and, using the rolling pin, gently roll out into a thin squarish sheet about 1/12 inch thick (you should see through it when held up to the light).
- Rest on a wire rack and carefully remove the top sheet of cling-film.
- Stand in a warm place to dry out.
- After eight hours or so, turn over and gently remove the bottom sheet of the cling-film and leave to dry again.
- TO DECORATE: Cut each sheet of fruit into equal width strips and decorate with fresh fruit, melted chocolate, writing icing, edible flowers etc.