Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. From Daniel Rogov's "Libyan Cuisine - Simple but Tasty" website. Preparation time does not require time for overnight refrigeration.
Top Review by Annacia
I love chickpeas and this is a yummy way to fix them. I made the recipe last night and stashed it in the fridge until lunch today and then let it warm some. I currently have some very nice sweet onions and that is what I used. All I had to put it on is red leaf lettuce and that worked nicely. I just love the flavors and low sugar in this. What a great little dish.
- 1 1⁄8 lbs chickpeas (1/2 kg)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 hard boiled egg yolks, chopped and sieved
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- salt, as required
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water. Add the bay leaf and 2 teaspoons of salt, cover and cook over a medium flame until the chickpeas are tender (about 1 1/2 hours), adding more water if necessary. Drain well.
- In a small mixing bowl put the egg yolks and into this, beat the oil and vinegar with a wire whisk. Stir in the onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, capers and chickpeas. Refrigerate overnight.
- Allow to come to room temperature before serving and just before serving sprinkle over with the remaining parsley.