- 2 lbs raw shrimp
- 8 tablespoons butter (Divided in half)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine or 1⁄2 cup brandy or 1⁄2 cup clam juice
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons long-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel & devein shrimp, refrigerate shrimp. Save shrimp shells.
- In a Dutch oven , melt 1/2 of butter at medium heat. Saute celery, carrots, onions, and thyme; occasionally stirring, until softened (about 5 minutes depending how hot your Dutch oven is.
- Add shrimp shells; saute - stirring until pink (about 2 - 3 minutes).
- Add sherry (Brandy or Clam Juice). Bring to a boil, scrap up any brown bits from bottom of Dutch oven. Add 6 cups of water and bay leaf. Return back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Pour through a sieve or cheesecloth-lined strainer into a bowl. Press to extract all liquid. Return to Dutch oven.
- Whisk in rice, tomato paste, salt and cayenne pepper; return cover and simmer until rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
- While waiting - - melt remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and saute shrimp until pink and opaquie (about 4 minutes). Reserve for garnish about 1/2 pound shrimp or one shrimp for each guest.
- In blender, puree soup and shrimp (in batches - - 4 -5 batches)until smooth.
- MAKE AHEAD: If you are making ahead, cool mixture. When completely cool refrigerate in an airtight covered container. (Can be refrigerated up to 2 days).
- Shortly before serving; return soup to the Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a simmer. Add half and half, resume simmer BUT NOT BOILING. Add lemon juice.
- Ladle in to warmed bowls. Garnish with chives and/or parsley and shrimp.