Recipe by Fran6
The Liberty Bar in San Antonio was built in 1890 and was originally F. Boehler & Son Simple and Fancy Groceries. My mother remembers shopping there in the 1930's and 40's. It became a very unique restaurant and bar in 1985 - it looks like it's going to fall down any minute, thanks to a flood in 1921. Obviously, it hasn't yet. This soup is so good it's the first recipe I've ever posted here. It was published in the SA Express News. The recipe as is is extremely thick so plan on adding more broth (or less sour cream). Also, I much prefer lime juice to lemon juice. Preparation time does not include chilling.
- 3 large ripe avocados, preferably Hass
- 3 cups chicken broth (to taste)
- 3 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- salt, to taste
- cayenne or black pepper, to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and diced, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel avocados and cut into small pieces. Place in blender or food processor along with chicken broth and puree until smooth. Pour into large bowl, add sour cream and lemon juice and mix well.
- Peel and seed poblano pepper and cut into 1/4-inch dice, or as desired; add to bowl. Stir in chopped cilantro and season to taste with salt and cayenne or black pepper. Chill in refrigerator. If you prefer a thinner soup, add more chicken stock, to taste.
- Pour into serving bowls and garnish with finely diced red pepper.
- (Note: Substitute black pepper for cayenne if the heat from the poblano is sufficient).