Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great tasting and unique holiday bread that will become a classic.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can Libby's canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil and orange juice in large mixer bowl; beat until just blended.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until wooden pic inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Lovely moist bread with some unique flavors that went together so easy. I did add some walnuts to the mixture and I think that added to it. I also cut the sugr down to 2 cups and that was plenty sweet for us. I was a little shocked at the amount of oil, but it seemed to work well with the recipe. I made in mini loafs and then froze most of them to use this holiday season when we have guests drop in.
I've made this recipe for years, but my copy has 3/4 C. oil and 3/4 C. orange juice, which would be less fat than the recipe as posted here. I also use about 2 cups fresh cranberries and also 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts. As you can see from my photos, it is a moist loaf that is nicely colored with fruit and nuts.
This is fantastic!!! I used apple juice instead of orange. I doubled it and made 2 cranberry loaves, one chocolate chip loaf and one pecan loaf- all were great.
*update: I made this again this year and tried the suggestion of 3/4 cup orange juice and 3/4 cup oil. I also reduced the sugar to 2 cups and upped the cranberries to 2 cups. i used whole wheat pastry flour and it was awesome! definitely sweet enough and didn't taste like "healthy" bread.