Recipe by Dienia B.
Very old recipe made with yeast, apples, raisins. Makes 2 cakes. Recipe says you can use fresh or canned apples; no amount of apples given. i used 3 each cake
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup water, warm
- 2 cups water, warm
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 6 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 6 apples, peeled cored, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast with 1 tablespoon sugar in 1 cup warm water; let proof for 10 minutes.
- Put in mixing bowl 2 cups warm water, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, egg, melted shortening, a little lemon flavoring, and 6 cups flour sifted, and raisins.
- Few raisins can be added, pressed into dough after dough is in pan.
- This will not be stiff but sticky on fingers.( this is very soft dough i used pam in pan and n top of dough ).
- Let rise 2 hours.( this was a little long rise until doubled the temps were cooler in those old farm houses ).
- Put in two 9x13 greased pans.
- Using melted shortening in your hand to spread dough after it rises about 1 hour.(again until doubled )punch down
- Put sliced apples or canned apples on top (I would put cinnamon sugar mixture on now)(. cover with tin foil ).
- Let rise 1 more hour.( until doubled ).
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes until done i had at 425 for 30 it was to fast
- Remove from oven and cover with sour cream, sugar and/or cinnamon.