Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Very old relish; reminds me of chow chow; has green peppers, cabbage, celery, onions. Always follow Ball book. This is just the recipe, not how to can, because it just says seal and that's wrong.
- 1 quart celery, chopped
- 2 quarts green tomatoes, chopped
- 2 quarts cabbage, chopped
- 2 quarts onions, chopped
- 6 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup salt, kosher
- 2 quarts water
- 2 quarts vinegar
- 2 lbs sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mustard seeds
- 1 ounce celery seed
- Put celery, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and peppers through food chopper.
- Mix together.
- Add 1 cup kosher salt with 2 quarts cold water.
- Let stand overnight in cool place.
- Next morning drain well.
- Put 2 quarts vinegar to 2 lbs sugar, mustard seed, and celery seed on stove to boil; boil for 10 minutes.
- Pour over chopped vegetables.
- Pack in jars and seal.