Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
This is a traditional Algerian recipe for lamb with 'Khorchef' - also known as Wild Artichoke, Spanish Artichoke, Cardon & Cardoon. It is also very nice made with chicken instead of lamb...
- 1 kg lamb
- 1 1⁄2 kg wild artichokes (khorchef)
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ghee (smen)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas (tinned)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 free range egg
- 2 pints water (approx)
- salt and black pepper
- Prepare the Khorchef - wash thoroughly, remove stringy fibres and cut into pieces approximately 5cm in length. Place into a large pan of boiling water with 1 tbsp of lemon juice and boil for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove any fat from the meat and cut into 1" chunks. Chop the onion. Place the meat, onion and garlic in a large pan or casserole and fry gently on medium heat until meat is sealed and onion is lightly coloured.
- Add the salt, pepper and cinnamon and cook for 10 minutes. Finally cover with water - approximately 2 pt, add the chick peas and Khorchef.
- Cover pan, bring to the boil before reducing heat and simmer for 1 hour. Check the seasoning and that the Khorchef is cooked (tender) and the chicken is well cooked.
- Finely chop the parsley. Whisk the egg with the juice from 1 lemon and 4 tbsp of the sauce. Pour back into the pan mixing well and cook for a further 5 minutes on medium heat.
- (Add a little stock if there is not enough sauce. Add a little water if sauce is too thick and is there is too much then cook for 5 minutes over high hid uncovered until sauce has reduced enough.).
- Slice the remaining lemon and serve with the finished dish.
- Serve this dish with a seasonal salad and fresh bread.