Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This was featured in the March 05 issue of "Southern Living". Tried it out last weekend and it was a HUGE hit! Don't let the amount of red pepper alarm you--you can scrape it off the skin before serving.
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons salt (I did 2 tsp kosher salt and 2 tsp garlic salt)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 whole cut up chicken (or your favorite parts--I did drumsticks only)
- Stir together first six ingredients until blended and pour into large ziplock bag or other marinating container.
- Refrigerate at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken; discard marinade.
- Grill chicken covered with grill lid, over med-high heat 35 to 45 minutes or until done, turning occasionally.
Very tasty! Marinated for six hours and actually used the broiler to cook it. Good hot or cold! There is a lot of red pepper and some of it should be scraped off before serving, I think. Thanks for sharing this recipe!