1/2 Photos of Levana's Orange Poppy Seed Cake
1 hr 19 mins
1 hr 4 mins
In my never-ending search for orange zest recipes, I came across this one in Levana Kirschenbaum's new book, Levana's Table. It's the most heavenly version of orange poppy seed cake I've seen so far. My only change to the recipe was to move it from the food processor to the stand mixer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup poppy seed
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2To make the cake: In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- 3Set aside.
- 4In an electric mixer, combine the eggs and sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- 5Add the oil and vanilla and beat until just combined.
- 6Beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the 3/4 cup orange juice.
- 7Mix slightly after each addition, just to incorporate.
- 8Add the poppy seeds and mix to incorporate the seeds into the batter.
- 9Pour the batter into a greased 10-inch springform pan.
- 10Bake for 1 hour, or until the point of a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 11To make the syrup: While the cake is baking, place the syrup ingredients into a small saucepan and heat until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- 12When the cake is done, immediately unmold it from the springform pan.
- 13Prick it all over with a skewer and brush the syrup all over the top and sides of the cake while it is still hot.
- 14The cake will absorb all the syrup.
- 15Let the cake cool completely before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Levana's Orange Poppy Seed Cake
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.0
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 144.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 27.8 g
- Protein 6.5 g