Recipe by Mindelicious
This recipe comes from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book Appetite for Reduction - 125+ fast & filling low-fat vegan recipes. Isa recommends serving this with her recipes Unfried Fried Rice & Five-Spice Delicata Squash which can be found in her book. I made these for some non vegan friends who were weary of tofu but they said these were amazing!! This recipe is very easy & the result is cool & crisp on the outside while warm & sweet on the inside. YUM!!
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or 1/2 tsp if you want more spice)
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 12 lettuce leaves (iceberg makes a nice pocket for the filling)
Directions See How It's Made
- Tofu: Heat a cast iron or heavy bottomed nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with a little non stick cooking spray and add the tofu. "Dry fry" for about 10 minutes carefully flipping about halfway through. Add the soy sauce and toss to coat.
- Sauce: Heat another pan over medium heat. Add the sesame oil and saute the red bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes for about 10 minutes.
- Once the veggies are soft and browned add the mirin and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the hoison & mustard and cook for another minute.
- Assemble: Add the tofu to the sauce and toss to coat. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves and serve immediately. Enjoy!