Robyn's Cookin''s Note:
These are a bit of work, but make for a nice, light and healthy dinner. They're drippy and messy, but that makes them even better, in my opinion. :-) I choose to "cut" my lean ground beef with TVP (textured vegetable protein) to cut down on fat and save cash, but 1 full pound of ground beef would work just fine. The sauce is similar to the stuff they whip up tableside at PF Chang's. I like to serve these as a main dish alongside homemade hot and sour soup (I'll post that recipe one of these days) and egg rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head , boston bibb or 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- sugar, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup textured vegetable protein, re-hyrdated in 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste (found in the Oriental section)
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1Rinse lettuce leaves and pat dry; set aside.
- 2Combine sauce ingredients. Add a bit of sugar if desired. Set aside.
- 3Combine raw ground beef with re-hydrated TVP by hand, mixing well.
- 4In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, saute the meat mixture with onion and garlic.
- 5When cooked, add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, and chile paste.
- 6Stir in the water chestnuts, green onions, and sesame oil. Cook just until the green onions begin to wilt (about 2 minutes).
- 7Transfer to a serving dish and let each person fill their lettuce leaves and top with sauce.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lettuce Wraps As Good As Pf Chang's
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.4
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 37.3 mg
- Sodium 757.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein
rice wine vinegar