Recipe by Babs in Toyland
This is my version of P F Changs lettuce wraps recipe. It is a lot less time consuming. Plus this versatile filling can be used in a flour tortilla with some cheese and fold over and microwave for a minute for a tasty burrito. Also it works really well as a topping on your pizza. I spread some basil pesto on a flour tortilla and add some shredded cheese and some of the filling and bake for 8 minutes and it is delicious.
Top Review by Stephanie V
This was easy to make, took some time to cut all the veggies up, but well worth it! I cut the oils down a little and didn't use as much chili sauce because my kids don't like spicy foods. I will be making this again, only doubling it so there is some left over! Even my fussy daughter ate the veggies in it and didn't complain!
- romaine lettuce leaf (cut in half horizontally)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely diced peeled ginger (fresh ginger is key to this recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sambal oelek (or any other chili sauce that you prefer)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, plus extra for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup diced green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the bell peppers and the turkey and cook until the turkey is almost cooked through and browned slightly, about 7 - 8 minutes. Add the hoison sauce, oyster sauce, chili sauce, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Let cook another 4 to 5 minutes until the sauce reduces. Remove from the heat.
- Add the sesame oil, cilantro, pine nuts and green onion and stir to combine. To serve place a spoonful of the mixture in each lettuce leaf. Garnish with extra cilantro if desired.