Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another favorite from Southern Living Magazine (April 2002). The ultimate salad for freshness and taste!
- 4 -6 slices bacon (may substitute with turkey bacon)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 4 wedges
- shredded basil
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, drain on paper towels, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in the skillet.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute onion in hot drippings in skillet over medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Remove onions from heat; cool.
- Process buttermilk and the next 4 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping a few times to scrape down sides.
- Stir in onion.
- Top each lettuce wedge with dressing; sprinkle with bacon.
- Garnish, if desired with a bit of shredded basil.
Very nice salad. Simple but tasty. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I too added some blue cheese and also finely diced tomatoes around the edge. I also added 1 tsp. sugar to the dressing and cut the garlic down to 1 clove. Superb salad!
I am a HUGE fan of salad wedges and am always searching for variations. This dressing has a nice refreshing flavor, that my DH and I really enjoyed. After trying it I decided that I just could not live without some crumbled gorgonzola, so I added some on my wedge (my husband does not do moldy cheese). Very good!