Another favorite from Southern Living Magazine (April 2002). The ultimate salad for freshness and taste!
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, drain on paper towels, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in the skillet.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute onion in hot drippings in skillet over medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Remove onions from heat; cool.
- Process buttermilk and the next 4 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping a few times to scrape down sides.
- Stir in onion.
- Top each lettuce wedge with dressing; sprinkle with bacon.
- Garnish, if desired with a bit of shredded basil.