1 hr 30 mins
This is a soup that my Slovak grandmother used to make when I was a little girl. She used lettuce she would pick fresh out of her garden. I still make this soup every summer and remember her sitting in her kitchen sipping coffee with my mother and aunt. It brings back such fond memories.
My Private Note
Large B ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a cast iron skillet (this the best but you can use any type skillet) Fry 2 lb. of bacon (to render fat, but not crisp the bacon).
- 2Remove bacon from skillet leaving the fat in the pan.
- 3Allow the fat to brown (slightly).
- 4For every 2 Tablespoons of browned fat rendered add 2 tablespoons of flour.
- 5Stirring constantly, brown flour in fat to a deep golden brown.
- 6Allow to cool slightly so as not to curdle the milk when added.
- 7Once cooled, add 1 cup of milk for ever 2 tablespoons of flour used.
- 8Bring to rolling boil stirring constantly.
- 9Add torn up lettuce and cut up bacon to the browned fat and flour mixture.
- 10Bring back to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- 11Add eggs to mixture making sure to stir it throughout the soup.
- 12Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 1 hour (until lettuce is cooked down).
- 13Salt to taste.
- 14Serve with a crusty French bread.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lettuce Soup
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 735.6
- Calories from Fat 630
- Total Fat 70.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 173.4 mg
- Sodium 1317.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 21.2 g