Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
This meal sized salad has a BEAUTIFUL presentation. Egg and cottage cheese provide protein, while the lettuce and many vegetables create a light, yet filling, meal. The amounts of lettuce and vegetables is an estimate. Just use as much as you want. Also, use the vegetables you prefer.
Top Review by J-Lynn
Definitely good enough to go on our regular rotation, esp. since we have changed our diet to mostly salads, and severely cut back on meats and wheat. I tossed the salad with ranch yogurt dressing first. Also added pickle juice to the egg mixture, to get the consistency that I'm accustomed to. Was surprised that even then, it was a bit bland. Will try to spark it up with maybe dill relish and some more spices or herbs.
- 1 1⁄2 cups green leaf lettuce (or whatever lettuce you prefer)
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup radish, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup yellow pepper, sliced
Egg Salad dressing
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 hard-boiled egg, shelled and coarsely chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (or about 2 tbsp fresh chives)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 tomatoes (about six slices)
Directions See How It's Made
- Salad - tear lettuce into bite sized pieces, place on dinner sized plate leaving the middle of the plate empty; sprinkle the chopped vegetables on the lettuce.
- Egg Salad - combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well; chill.
- Right before eating, scoop egg salad onto the middle of the plate, so the lettuce and vegetables surround it.
- Garnish with tomato slices placed around the egg salad.
- If you wish to have this as a side salad, use two dessert sized plates and arrange half the ingredients on each plate as above.