Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was my first effort at 'Creative Cooking' as a young girl. Not knowing that it was my creation, Mom was so excited about how good this was that she immediately wanted to know from which of her cookbooks I'd found this recipe. Going through my recipe file has brought back another pleasant memory!
- 1 small solid head iceberg lettuce
- 1 tangerine (seeds removed)
- 2 medium apples, cored,but unpeeled (Jonathan preferrably)
- 2 small onions
- 1 orange (if not seedless, remove seeds)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise or 3⁄4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salad: Peel onions, orange and tangerine.
- Shred lettuce into large bowl.
- Chop onion and apples into bowl.
- Section orange and tangerine, then cut sections in half, adding to salad bowl as you do so.
- Toss lightly.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise with milk.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stir in garlic salt, pepper and sugar.
- Pour over salad and toss lightly until combined.
- Serve immediately.
Cindy Lynn this salad was very good, your mother was right!! Very refreshing combination of ingredients.I cut the recipe in half for the two of us, used 2% milk and had to use fresh garlic, had no garlic salt, we enjoyed it very much, thanks for sharing!!
Nice recipe (but not 4*; I keep that for really outstanding ones), but could do with some more garlic. Tip: for a slightly different dressing, try to add some curry powder.
My family enjoyed this recipe. I made a few modifications to the dressing because we like our dressing a bit more piquant. I used 1/2 mayonnaise (reduced fat) & 1/2 fat-free sour cream. I skipped the sugar and added 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar. It made a very tasty salad. I'm pleased you shared the recipe.