Recipe by Elisa72
I had an overabundance of lettuce and was looking for a recipe that would use a lot. This is a tasty, if not very attractive looking, soup. This is an adaptation of Lettuce Soup, Lettuce Soup, with slighter lower fat content. I've never tried Lettuce Soup so don't know how this version compares.
- 1 lb thick slab bacon
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 10 cups leafy lettuce, washed and torn
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet fry the bacon until fully cooked but not crisp.
- Remove bacon and fat from skillet, then return 1/4 cup of the fat to the pan.
- Stirring constantly, add the flour and brown in fat to a deep golden brown.
- Add the water carefully as it will splatter some (I find it splatters less if I dump all the water in quickly) and stir well. Then add the milk and bring to a rolling boil stirring frequently.
- Add the lettuce and cut up bacon to the browned fat and flour mixture.
- Bring back to a rolling boil, stirring contantly.
- Add eggs to mixture making sure to stir it thoughout the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 1/2 hour (until lettuce is cooked down).