Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 lb thick slab bacon
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 10 cups leafy lettuce, washed and torn
- In a large skillet fry the bacon until fully cooked but not crisp.
- Remove bacon and fat from skillet, then return 1/4 cup of the fat to the pan.
- Stirring constantly, add the flour and brown in fat to a deep golden brown.
- Add the water carefully as it will splatter some (I find it splatters less if I dump all the water in quickly) and stir well. Then add the milk and bring to a rolling boil stirring frequently.
- Add the lettuce and cut up bacon to the browned fat and flour mixture.
- Bring back to a rolling boil, stirring contantly.
- Add eggs to mixture making sure to stir it thoughout the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 1/2 hour (until lettuce is cooked down).