Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Make it yourself ice cream. Fun and simple to make with your kids!
- 1 cup milk (whole milk works best!)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 20 cups ice
- 1 1⁄2 cups rock salt
- -- Continued -- Supplies: 1 quart-size zip-top freezer bag.
- 1 gallon-size zip-top freezer bag.
- (The bags should actually zip closed. The kind that you press to close won't work for this).
- •For variations: Strawberry ice cream, add four tablespoons of diced strawberries to the milk mixture. For candy bar ice cream, add candy bar bits. You can put anything in -- Invent your own flavors!
- Put the milk, sugar, and vanilla in the quart-size freezer bag. squeeze out the air, then zip the bag completely closed. (If it is not sealed tightly, you will end up with salty milk).
- Place the small bag in the large bag.
- pack ice almost to the top of the large bag.
- Pour one cup of the rock salt on top of the ice. zip the bag completely closed.
- Now you need some help. Get a friend and go outside. (You may want to wear gloves because your hands will get cold). Toss the bag back and forth for five minutes (Be careful --- it's heavy!
- Open the large bag and drain out the water. (But don't pour it on grass or other plants, salt water will kill them).
- Add the rest of the salt and as much ice as you can. Seal the bag again, then toss it back and fourth for five more minutes.
- Check the small bag. Do you have ice cream yet? You probably do, but if it is still runny, seal everything backup and toss it around for a few more minutes.
- Enjoy your ice cream.