Recipe by Dragonfly AZ
If you are a peppermint fan-atic, this cake will quickly become a favorite! Perfect cake for Christmas get togethers, or anytime you have a hankering for chocolate and peppermint. Recipe from "The Cake Mix Doctor..." I think this cake tastes best if allowed to sit for about 24 hours to let the flavors meld. Passive work time includes cooling time for cake and ganache
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon peppermint schnapps or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no subs, please)
- 1⁄2 cup crushed peppermint stick candy (about 7-8)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon peppermint schnapps or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour 2 round cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cake ingredients on low for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Increase mixing speed to medium high and beat for 2 minutes more.
- Pour batter into cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until they test done.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- While cooling, prepare Ganache:.
- Put all ganache ingredients in 2 cup glass measuring cup.
- Cook on 50% power in microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring well after each minute until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Cover tightly and let sit for 3-4 hours or until it reaches spreading consistency. If it gets too thick, place in a pan of hot water over medium heat and stir until softens.
- To make filling:.
- Place butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl.
- Cream together until smooth and fluffy.
- Add candy, sugar, flavoring (or schnapps) and about 2 Tbs milk.
- Beat, adding additional milk until mixture is fluffy.
- When cakes are cool, layer them with the filling between layers, reserving about 1/2 cup of the filling for garnish, if you wish.
- Frost layers with cooled ganache.
- Pipe remaining filling on top of cake, or just sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Refrigerate to set ganache.