Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Softasilk Cake Flour box. A very simple orange flavor within the cake.
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour (I use Softasilk)
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated and packed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour a 12-cup bundt cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, whip egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add 1/4 c of the granulated sugar, whipping until whites are stiff but not dry; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat oil, remaining 1 cup granulated sugar, whole egg, sour cream, applesauce, vanilla, orange extract, orange zest and orange juice.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture to the orange mixture.
- Fold in the whipped whites to the batter.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan and cooling completely on wire rack.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.
Baked this cake pretty much similar just added more zest, it tastes great each time and I love the citrus taste of it. A must try cake!!!
Five stars all the way. Wonderful, moist, flavorful cake. I did add a touch more zest than called for, just because I wanted too. LoL! Made for Photo Tag. :)
Made this recipe pretty much as indicated, although I used generously rounded measures of the orange zest (not packed, which probably amounted to about the same as if I'd packed the zest down into the spoon)! Very, very nice orange flavored cake, slices of which I served topped with a small drizzle of homemade chocolate sauce! Thanks for posting this great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the current Sweet Traditions event]