Recipe by Peggy V.
This is similiar to others, but this one incorporates almonds for some added crunch! You can make and freeze the casserole ahead, or make two small casseroles.
Top Review by nicoleingermantown
Great! I found this recipe again here after making it many times before. Thanks for posting it. This makes a ton, and is perfect for taking to families that have a new baby, a potluck, or a sick friend. I usually make one for my family for dinner and another to give. Serve this with some bread and a green salad.
- 2 (6 1/4 ounce) packagesfast-cooking long grain and wild rice blend
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium vidalia onions, finely chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (16 ounce) container light sour cream
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) package sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice mixes according to package directions. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add celery and onion. Saute 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in water chestnuts, rice, chicken, 3 cups cheese, and next 5 ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 15x10 baking dish or a 4 quart baking dish. Top casserole with breadcumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and almonds; bake 5 more minutes.
- You can divide this casserole evenly between 2 11x7 baking dishes. Bake as directed above or freeze casserole up to 1 month. Remove form freezer, and let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover casserole, and bake 55 more minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese adn almonds, and bake 5 more minutes.