Recipe by Lesl1e
This is absolutely delicious and a show stopper for a brunch.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
Great recipe. I didn't change any of the ingredients in this recipe, except a slight change in the sausage. I didn't have any regular pork sausage so I used Italian sausage and it worked nicely. Loved the combination and all the flavours.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 lb bulk pork sausage
- 5 large beaten eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 5 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan. Blend in flour, cook over medium heat until smooth and bubbly, about 1 minute. Gradually add milk; cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Add Swiss and parmesan cheeses, salt, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until cheeses are melted. Set aside. In medium skillet, brown sausage, drain. Stir in eggs and thyme. Cook over medium heat until eggs are just set. Stir in cheese sauce and 1 tablespoon parsley. Cool completely.
- Unroll phyllo sheets: cover with plastic wrap or towel. Brush 1 phyllo sheet with melted butter, sprinkle with bread crumbs. Fold in half lengthwise, brush with butter. Place 1/2 cup filling on bottom of short side of phyllo, leaving 1 inch edge on bottom and sides. Turn up edge. Fold in sides. Roll up. Place seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet.
- In small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Brush strudel with melted butter; sprinkle with topping. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets. filling, and topping. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until crisp and light brown. Serves 5 -can easily double.
- Note: Strudels can be prepared, covered, and refrigerated a day ahead, then baked as directed.
- Serves: 5.