Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This piece of southern Serbian cuisine is probably the most common of all burgers in the south and around Leskovac (where burgers are in most cases NOT considered junk food). There are likely several ways of preparing this both in terms of ingredients and the grilling process. This is a classic burger recipe I memorized from a burger spot in my town and is best prepared either on the grill, or you can make it in your frying pan with just a bit of oil.
- Peel and chop up both the onions and the garlic in the food processor until they are even.
- Meld the minced beef and pork with your hands until they are even and then add the onions and garlic. Make sure they are well spread across the meat.
- Add the mustard and shape the meat well so that the mustard holds the meat, the chopped onions and the garlic like glue.
- Split the meat into five or six patties and grill between ten and twenty minutes, depending on how you like your meat done. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- You can use any type of bun you like. I personally prefer the homemade "pita" bun. Traditional condiments include chopped raw onions, kaymak, and ajvar/ljutenica. Enjoy!
These burgers are so tasty! I was looking for something different and I found it! I followed the recipe as written. I used regular yellow mustard and store-bought pita. Of course I didn't have the kaymak and ajvar - didn't even know what it was. This was so good and different that now I'm very interested in Serbian cuisine. I found a lot of information on Wikipedia and recipes for kaymak and ajvar on the internet. I'll try to make those next time. JUST GOOD!!!