Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This makes a simple romantic dinner for 2. I found this recipe in Reader's Digest Creative Cooking, published back in the 70s. The cooking time I have listed is from the cookbook, but I've cut the recipe in half so it shouldn't take as long.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (this amount maybe too strong for some so reduce if you want)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Cook the chicken in 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy skillet over gentle heat until done.
- Arrange the chicken on a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add the shallot to the pan, with the red wine. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and boil briskly until reduced by half.
- Stir in the remaining butter in small pieces and season to taste.
- Just before serving, pour the sauce over the chicken.