1/2 Photos of Leprechaun Soup
A reader's recipe from the national section of my local newspaper, submitted by Joni Hilton of Rocklin, California. She says, "This festive soup with bits of Leprechaun gold is always fun to serve on St. Patrick's Day. You don't have to be Irish to enjoy it. My four kids and husband love it, and the children enjoy finding the gold nuggets -- the corn -- in their bowls."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 medium head boston lettuce, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 1In large stockpot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add peas, lettuce and green onions. Saute vegetables until onions are translucent, stirring frequently.
- 2Add broth and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 8 minutes, or until peas are tender.
- 3Puree mixture in blender in 1-cup batches. Return to pan. Add corn and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, until thoroughly heated.
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Serve with a 1 tablespoon dollop of sour cream.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leprechaun Soup
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.9
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 317.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 13.4 g