1/1 Photo of Lepinje (Pita Bread) (Bosnia Herzegovina)
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 45 mins
This recipe was featured on week 33 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook on meal from every nation on Earth, and Bosnia Herzegovina is my 33rd stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. Lepinje is a traditional Bosnian pita bread. I made mine to go with cevapi, a lamb/beef sausage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Proof the yeast with the sugar and about 1/2 cup of lukewarm water. Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2When the yeast is foamy, pour it into the flour with another 1/2 cup of water (approximately, stop when the dough is the right texture. You may need more or less water). Mix well. Your dough should be a little bit sticky.
- 3Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for five minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large bowl greased with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel, and let rise in a warm place for an hour or so, or until doubled in size.
- 4Put the dough back on the floured surface and punch down. Knead again for another minute, then divide into four balls. Brush with olive oil and let rest for 10 or 15 minutes.
- 5Roll the dough balls with a floured rolling pin until they are roughly the thickness of an extra-thick pizza crust.
- 6Transfer the dough to a greased baking sheet and brush with a bit more olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rest for another half hour or so.
- 7Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. When the dough has rested remove the towel and plastic and put it in the oven.
- 8Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lepinje (Pita Bread) (Bosnia Herzegovina)
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.6
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 874.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 7.4 g