8 hrs 30 mins
This is probably the BEST Hot Beefs EVER!!! I got this recipe several years ago, from my wife's best friend, who has since passed away, due to breast cancer. She was an EXCELLANT cook & this recipe is named in her honor. I usually start this the night before on a Friday or Saturday night & the house smells SOOOOOOOOOOOO good in the morning!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef chuck roast, boneless preferred
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard (Gulden's preferred)
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped (do NOT use sweet onion)
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (do NOT use cream style or sauce)
- seasoned flour, for dredging
- 3 tablespoons Butter Flavor Crisco (for browning the roast)
- 1When choosing a roast, use the cheaper cut such as a chuck roast that has some nice marbling -- marbling adds flavor.
- 2Preheat oven to 250°.
- 3Melt the CRISCO, over medium-high heat, in a deep heavy pan that has a cover, such as a Dutch Oven.
- 4Dredge the roast in your favorite seaoned flour.
- 5Brown the roast on all sides.
- 6Dissolve the beef boullion cubes in the hot water & then add the brown mustard, black pepper & horseradish.
- 7When roast is browned, pour off any fat,
- 8Place chopped onion on top of roast & then slowly pour the boullion mixture on top of all.
- 9Cover & cook in 250° oven for 8 hours or until tender. (You can cook this in a crockpot on LOW for 8 hours, but I prefer it in the oven).
- 10When done, carefully remove roast to a large plate or platter.
- 11Take a fork in each hand & tear apart the roast. Do this while the roast is still hot.
- 12In a small bowl, dissolve 2 T. cornstarch into 2 T.of the liquid.
- 13Heat remaining liquid to a low boil & slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until desired thickness -- add 1-2 capfulls Kitchen Bouqet, if desired.
- 14Stir in the shredded roast.
- 15Serve hot on buns, bread or my http://www.recipezaar.com/Mashed-Potatoes-W-Carrots-331767.
- 16This also freezes very well -- IF there's any leftovers!
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leona's Hot Beefs
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.2
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 127.4 mg
- Sodium 235.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: