Recipe by fluffystew
Ukrainian-style borscht - my mother-in-law's recipe. I have a jar of Sour Salt I use instead of the salt and vinegar in the recipe. I had only ever tried cold beets once or twice (ew!) before being introduced to borscht. I remember I was reluctant to try the weird red soup. What a wonderful surprise when it hit my taste buds! Now I crave it regularly. You may want to play with the ingredients until it tastes the way you like it.
- 4 -5 beets, peeled and shredded (plus stems or leaves if desired)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, diced
- 2 -3 green beans, cut
- 1 stalk fresh dill
- 1 -2 potato, chopped
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (15 ounce) can broad beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute celery and onion and add to shredded beets in soup pot.
- Add carrots, green beans, fresh dill, potatoes, and onion soup mix.
- Add water to cover, plus an extra inch.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add peas and broad beans.
- Add salt and vinegar, to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in cream.