Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Vegitarian from recipefeed.com
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 inch slice fresh ginger
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- Place lentils, water & turmeric in a pot over medium heat & bring to a boil. Continue cooking, removing the froth from the top from time to time.
- In a separate pot, heat half the ghee. Saute onion & garlic till golden. Stir in ginger, chili & zucchini. Mix thoroughly & continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the lentils to the zucchini mixture. Stir in salt & garam masala. Half cover the pot, lower the heat & cook for 15 minutes.
- In the remaining ghee, toss in the cumin seeds & heat till they sizle & change colour.
- Serve lentils hot with the ghee/cumin seeds.
I made this the other night for my wife and she loved it nearly as much as I did. I am impressed how great this tastes and the nice blend of spices mixing with all the other wonderful flavors. It should be noted that this is from the book Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Michael Pandya.