1/1 Photo of Lentils With Wild Rice & Crispy Onions (Koshari)
2 hrs 40 mins
This is a delicious, satisfying, and healthy take on a traditional Middle Eastern/Egyptian dish from "The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook". Great as a side dish or a vegetarian/vegan main. Recipe makes 10 side dish servings and about 6 main dish servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Rice and Lentils
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2/3 cup wild rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped, plus 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups broth
- 1 cup brown lentils or 1 cup french green lentil, picked over, rinsed and drained
- fresh cilantro, for garnish or flat-leaf Italian parsley, leaves for garnish
- 1To make the tomato sauce, in a nonaluminum saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute longer; don't let the garlic brown. Stir in the tomato sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes and salt. When the mixture just begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the wild rice and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- 3In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft and lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and cinnamon and saute for 1 minute longer; don't let the garlic brown. Add the stock, lentils and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and simmer until the lentils are tender but still firm, about 30 minutes.
- 4While the rice and lentils are cooking, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and saute until brown and crispy, about 30 minutes.
- 5To serve, reheat the tomato sauce gently over medium heat. On a serving platter, spread the lentils in a layer; top with a layer of the rice. Pour the tomato sauce over the rice and top with the onion rings. Garnish with the cilantro.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentils With Wild Rice & Crispy Onions (Koshari)
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.7
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 435.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: