Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious way to serve lentils -- we have it for a main dish, but it can be used as a side dish as well.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1⁄2 small onion (not cut up)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced peeled carrot
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 12 ounces bunch spinach, trimmed, washed and dried or 1 (10 ounce) bag spinach
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- cooked rice (optional)
- In a pot, combine 4 cups of water, the lentils, onion, garlic and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. You can add some celery tops for added flavor, if desired.
- When water boils, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Remove the onion, garlic, bay leaf (and celery tops, if used). Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- In a saucepan or deep skillet heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the diced carrots and cook, stirring, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, stir to blend, and cook for 1 minute. Add the cooked lentils, spinach and soy sauce. Stir well, cover, and cook over low heat until the spinach is wilted, about 3-5 minutes. Serve over hot rice, if desired.