Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This simple but nutritious dish has become a staple in our home. It is my take on a a Lebanese dish that I love. I used Kohinoor's Exclusive World Rice Series Organic Brown Basmati Rice. I know it can be tricky to cook brown rice but this is my favorite brand, available at ethnic market and online. Recipe works well with plain white rice but you need to decrease cooking time. I used sunflower oil to caramelize the onions just because I do not like the flavor of other oils but you can substitute to suit your taste.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils
- 1⁄2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 large onion
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- Cut onion in half and slice along side. Heat the oil in a large pot and caramelize the onions at medium flame. Do not burn the onion, caramelize slowly.
- When at least 3/4 of the onion is a deep golden brown, add the spices and salt, stir well for a minute. Then add the lentils and rice and stir for about 2 minutes until everything is shiny and well coated with the oil and onion.
- Add the water, stir well. Partially cover. When it begins to boil, lower the heat, stir again, cover, and put a heat diffuser (as you would when you make rice.).
- Let gently and slowly cook for one hour, or more until rice is well done. Do not let mix dry, keep flame really low. Slow cooking lets the onions flavor the dish.
- Let it cool until only warm before you open the lid.
- Serve with a yogurt side dish and salad. It tastes delicious next day too, it can also be served as a snack.