Recipe by Dee84
This dish is very yummy. one of my favorites and it is great to eat while fasting. you can serve this with a salad and/or plain yogurt. enjoy
Top Review by silly sally
This recipe is so good! Real comfort food, actually. We love lentils and always have it on hand. This recipe cooked up nicely, quicly and the texture was perfect and not watery. I also added the onions right to the dish after sauteing for about 4 minutes! We abosolutely loved it, and Thank You, ButterflyMe, for sharing this.
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 cups rice (soaked)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced (optional)
- onion, fry only 2 at a time in pan (as many as desired) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pout the Lentils into a flat pan so that you can sift the stones and/or barley from it.
- Put the lentils in a pot and let it boil for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Drain all the water using a strainer.
- Put the Lentils back into the pot without the water.
- Take the 2 cups of soaked rice and put it over the lentils (after you drain the rice, of course).
- add the salt, pepper, and cumin and mix it all together.
- add 2 cloves of sliced garlic and the 1/4 cup olive oil (from the onions you will fry) on top of the mix.
- add water to about 1/2 inch above the level of the mixture and let it simmer.
- ONIONS: cut the onions length wise and fry them in the 1/4 cup olive oil. Put the onions on the side to be used as a garnish when serving the meal.
- Remember, the olive oil you used for the onions will be the 1/4 cup you used in making the lentils. This will give it an added flavor as opposed to taking the oil straight from the bottle.