Prep 3 mins
Cook 20 mins
I created this simple but tastey side dish to accompany a curry. The use of precooked lentils reduces the cooking time. All good curries deserve a dish of lentils as a side dish to compliment the curry and add another flavour while bulking out the meal. This dish can be used as a soup if you add a stock cube or two and more water.
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 500 g precooked lentils (bottled or canned )
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- In a pot melt the butter with the oil,.
- Fry the oniions till light brown in colour, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all the other ingredients apart from the CABBAGE. reduce heat to medium and cook till potato is tender. Stir in the cabbage, turn off the heat cover pot with a lid and allow to stand for a few minutes.
- Serve along with a curry of your choice.