- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 whole dried red chili
- 1 cup green lentil, washed and picked over
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium saute pan or saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry onion until crisp and reddish-brown, about 10 minutes, then drain on paper towels.
- Put garlic and chile in saucepan and fry for 20 seconds or until just beginning to brown. Add lentils and water. Partially cover and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Serve lentils with onions on top.
- Note: I used 6 cloves of garlic and 2 chiles, and it still wasn't hot enough for my tastes.