Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A good savory dish for cold weather
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 cup diced carrots or 1 cup parsnip
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 5 cups water (or as needed to cover everything by 3 inches)
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Combine the first 12 ingredients in a slow cooker; cover and cook on HIGH for 2 ½ to 3 hours until lentils are tender; season to taste with salt, if needed.
- Add boiling water if you want soupier lentils.
- Discard bay leaf; garnish with parsley and serve.
This was really yummy. The kids liked it, too. Made it with leftover Easter ham, and rosemary fresh from the garden. It also went really well with Recipe #218324 to sop up the liquid. It did need a little salt for me, though.